Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:16:37 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Arthur W. Neilson III" <aneilson@usa.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP Dynamic IP?

This question belongs on -questions, which is where I'm sending a copy
of it.  Please follow up there.

Arthur W. Neilson III wrote:

> I just brought FreeBSD 2.2.2 up on a second drive on my
> self-built AMD K6-200Mhz based system and can't figure
> out how to gen my Internet LAN connection going.  I told
> sysinstall about my 3COM 3C509 ISA card and ep0 seems to
> be fine.  I configured my subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and
> put in my gateway server address as well as the nameserver
> address.  Unfortunately my IP address will change whenever
> my license gets renewed.  This happens if my cable modem
> gets powered off or my cable company has problems.  My cable
> co expects me to use DHCP to dynamically obtain my IP address
> at startup time.  How do I do this in FreeBSD???

	You need to install the port of the ISC DHCP client.  First install the
ports collection, then cd to /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp2 and do 'make' and
'make install.'  You will need to do some configuration on the dhclient
script and conf file, but there are man pages for them. If your hostname
changes in addition to your IP address, I have a patch for the dhclient
script that will do that for you.

>Also, even
> though I hardcoded my IP address and put in the address of the
> nameserver I cannot reference any sites by name, only address.
> ping works great if I specify the address of a site but I get
> 'host unknown' if I specify by name.  What have I got setup
> wrong???????

	Where did you put the IP address of your nameserver?  It should be in
/etc/resolv.conf. Do man resolv.conf for more info.

Good luck,

Doug