Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:02:08 +0200
From:      dennis berger <db@nipsi.de>
To:        John <jwd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISCSI on zvols with two maschines. What needs to be done?

Hi John,
see inline.

Am 20.07.2012 um 14:32 schrieb John:

> Hi Dennis,
>=20
> ----- dennis berger's Original Message -----
>> Hi folks,
>>=20
>> The following question often comes to me, when I speak to my =
customers.
>>=20
>> Is it possible to attach two systems to the same storage array using =
shared SAS and use istgt + zfs to provide=20
>> a reliable ISCSI target. This could be active/passive or later =
active/active. In case it's not possible, what needs to be done?
>>=20
>> The questions that came into my mind.
>>=20
>> Can I connect two freebsd to the storage and boot them up? Just that =
both systems would see the physical devices.=20
>=20
> Yes, please see:
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jwd/zfsnfsserver.jpg

This is exactly how I would like to use it.

>=20
> for a possible diagram. Dual path all the shelves and use gmultipath =
> access them. Use 9-stable.
OK. And with new multipath code. I remember I read something in =
quarterly reports=85

>=20
> Make sure each host is dual homed and a client (initiator) can access
> the target with dual pathing, one connection over each network path.
>=20
OK but it's still accessing one target right.

>> Can I start ZFS on both systems without writing on it? I would like =
to use just block devices for ISCSI. Is everything still consistent?
>=20
> You can start ZFS on both systems and import different pools. The same =
pool
> cannot be imported on two different systems (you can, you won't be =
happy).
>=20
Ahh you mean to create a separate zfs pool with the different devices =
names according to multipath. Which in in essence are the same physical =
devices?!

PoolA with da0 and da2=20
PoolB with da1 and da3
=20
da0 and da1 are the same device but different paths?
But where is the difference?! Maybe I don't understand exactly why 2 =
pools

>> Does starting ZFS up already writing some sort of meta data to the =
physical devices?!
>=20
> Yes, others would know better than I.

OK

>=20
>> Can I start istgt on both systems without actually using the istgt on =
one system?! Then CARP would be enough, wouldn't it.
>=20
> You start istgt on both systems handing out luns from the two =
different
> pools you have mounted on each head. Hint, put your istgt configs for
> each pool in each pool.
>=20
> Using CARP/DEVD and some shell code, if head A dies, you import the
> failing heads pool on the other system and bring istgt up. CARP =
handles
> the IP address switch over.

Do I need to zfs import?!=20

-dennis

>=20
>> Or in case of active/active extend istgt to communicate with the =
other istgt to not hand out a device twice?=20
>=20
> Not sure I'd want to expend the effort here. Just an opinion.
>=20
> Hope this helps.
>=20
> -John