Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 20:58:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0b2 [Solution & Summary]

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> I have *NO* idea why it runs ``netstat -i'' - I doubt it can parse the
> output somehow!

This is a good question.  You should ask the Netscape programmers :-)

> That (apart from /bin/sh initially running
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape.bin) is the ONLY fork in the entire
> ktrace output...

fork was poor word choice on my part.  Actually, the Java task that's
"spawned" to handle the applet is a thread.  If you really want to get
down and dirty, you should watch the communications between netscape and
the Xserver

>    470 netscape.bin CALL  write(0x2,0xefbf98c8,0x45)
>    470 netscape.bin GIO   fd 2 wrote 69 bytes
>        "Warning:
>             Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background
> Then later on:
>
>    470 netscape.bin CALL  read(0xd,0x42ec94,0x3fe)
>    470 netscape.bin GIO   fd 13 read 69 bytes
>        "Warning:
>             Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background

What's happening here is that the netscape thread is getting (or sending?)
a diagnostic message from the thread that is handling your Java app (I
*think*).  Shortly after this, the thread handling the Java applet is
going to die (causing no Java app to show up).

> P.S. At no time have I gotten this version of netscape to produce a
>      ``java console''...

The Java console is implemented in Java..  It'll work once Java applets
start working for you.

Sujal