Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 20:33:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs.ko panics on unloading

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With latest sources, running ELF kernel (and yes, I rebuilt kernel _and_
> modules) loading nfs.ko works ok, but unloading results in immediate panic
> (page fault in kernel mode) and stack corruption. Is this a bug or a
> feature?
>
> This is very repeatable here, but if anyone wants a coredump, I've got
> one.

There is a mistake in mount.h's module hooks for loading and initialising
a filesystem.  It calls vfs_register() at both load and unload time.  I
have some patches which I haven't got around to testing which disables
unloading (and factor out some of the common vfs module registration
code).  Unfortunately the vfs system itself doesn't support unloading yet
(a project for someone there).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039