Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 22:35:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help on newfs and a new partition

> Andreas Klemm writes:

> >> That'll work once the filesystem exists.
> >
> > I recommend using the tar's p flag when extracting the stuff to
> > get the same permissions after extractimg ;-)
> >
> > otherwise you might wonder why permissions of all files changed
> > to root regarding to root's umask settings ;-)
>
> This doesn't happen under FreeBSD.  Did you see it under System V?  In

It happens -- I just checked:
E.g., the original files
drwxrwxr-x  2 roberte  work  512 Sep 20 17:55 /home/re/etc/FreeBSD
-rw-rw-r--  1 roberte  work  384512 Jul 19 01:46 /home/re/etc/FreeBSD/boot.flp

become w/o -p
dr-x------  2 roberte  work      512 Sep 20 17:55 FreeBSD
-r--------  1 roberte  work  384512 Jul 19 01:46 FreeBSD/boot.flp

with root's umask=277

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)