Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 95 10:48:03 PDT
From:      troyc@sandy.merix.com (Troy Curtiss)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, troyc@sandy.merix.com
Subject:   Unknown Ethernet Card - Any experts out there?

I recently picked up a nice little ethernet card at computer show for $20.
The card came with no documentation, but seems to be detected by linux, freebsd
and win95 as a NE2000 clone.  here's what freebsd says...

   ed1 at 0x340-0x35f irq 10 on isa
   ed1: address 00:40:05:11:18:aa, type NE2000 (16 bit)

an ifconfig ed1 reveals:

   ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
           inet 192.158.82.44 netmask 0xffffff00 braodcast 192.158.82.255
           ether 00:40:05:11:18:aa

SO according to all this info I should have a working ethernet card, right?
Well, it doesn't work.  The card has both BNC and 10BT connectors, so I
of course tried the link2 option with no results.  I don't think this thing
is using any shared memory like my 3com 3c503-16 (which works splendidly BTW).
On the noname card there are four LED's:
	Power/TX, Link/RX, Collision, JABBER
The Jabber LED stays on all the time, I think this might be a bad thing, but
I dunno.

Any ethernet card experts out there help me troubleshoot??  The 'brand' name
of the card is ENet-16, and the chipset appears to be a DL2517B (no manuf.
name at all...)  It's made in Taiwan, if that's of any help...

Thanks,
Troy