Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:37:48 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Joshua Oreman <oremanj@get-linux.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfs

--NQTVMVnDVuULnIzU

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:32:53AM -0700, Joshua Oreman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:58:29PM -0000 or thereabouts, mbaki@whywire.ne=
t wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > I'm trying to setup /var on a mermory file system on Freebsd 5.1, any g=
ood documents that will=20
> > help me, it's my first time.
>=20
> Don't set up /var on MFS, it holds stuff that has to be preserved across =
reboots.
> To set up /tmp on a MFS (for this one boot), do like so:
> # mv /tmp /tmp.old
> # mkdir /tmp

Don't forget to add the sticky bit here:

  # chmod 1777 /tmp

> # MD=3D`mdconfig -a -t swap -s XXXm`    # replace XXXm with size
> # newfs /dev/$MD
> # mount /dev/$MD /tmp
> # unset MD
>=20
> It will disappear when the system goes down.

To have it reappear on boot, add the following to your /etc/fstab:

  md    /tmp    mfs   rw,nosuid,async,noatime,nosymfollow,nodev,-s=3D524288=
     0       0

You may want to change the options and size.

Ceri
--=20
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.
                                           -- www.chatterboxchallenge.com

--NQTVMVnDVuULnIzU

--NQTVMVnDVuULnIzU--