Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:37:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   HEADS UP: New SCSI configuration checked in.

The new SCSI fixed device configuration support is added.  This
modifies usr.sbin/config, sys/scsi, sys/i386/kern/user_conf.c, and
the system configuration files.  In addition, a lot of common code
is hoisted up out of the SCSI type drivers and into base drivers;
the system is a bit smaller.  The number of SCSI busses is now
dynamic.  There is a "hand wave" at support in user_conf, but unless
you have wired down devices you won't see anything so don't be too
disappointed if you try it.

USE:

REBUILD usr.sbin/config before configuring the kernel.  If you do
not you will see undefined references to "scsi_cinit", "scsi_dinit",
and "scsi_tinit" from scsiconf.c.

TEST:

Since your SCSI disks will be mounted based on the unit this code
assigns to them there is some risk.  Yes, this code has been tested
both by me and at least booted by Justin Gibbs, BUT:

If you want to be real careful, when booting the first time set a
breakpoint in "scsi_attachdevs" and "next" your way through the
probe code.  Do this by booting with "-D -d", tell ddb "break
scsi_attachdevs" and "cont", then "next" through scsi_attachdevs
and "cont" if everything looks fine.  It will print out nice and
slowly for you.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of setting a breakpoint
you may want to wait a day to make sure there are no problems.

Since you won't have any wired down SCSI devices it should look
just like always.  If you see anything unusual don't use the kernel,
but instead send your config file to dufault@hda.com.

NOTES:

When you are wiring down devices be careful and watch for surprises
during boot.

To see how to wire down the devices check out "man 4 scsi" after
the man page has been installed.

The CD changer "scsi/ch.c" is untested.

I've noticed that this configuration:

> controller scbus0
> controller scbus1
> disk sd0
> disk sd1
> disk sd2
> disk sd3
> disk sd4
> disk sd5
> tape st0
> tape st1
> device cd0
> device cd1

generates these warnings:

> In file included from ../../scsi/scsiconf.c:34:
> ./sd.h:1: warning: `NSCBUS' redefined
> ./scbus.h:2: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

but I suspect this problem was always there.

Peter
--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936