Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2012 05:45:54 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        dinoex@freebsd.org, Niclas Zeising <zeising@daemonic.se>
Subject:   Re: graphics/png status, when will 1.5.13 appear in ports?

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> wrote:
> > From my original post:

> >> I think graphics/png is at 1.5.12 in FreeBSD ports but 1.5.13?

> >> Does anybody know when 1.5.13 will appear or if there is a particular snag?

> > Niclas Zeising <zeising@daemonic.se> responded:

> >> Since we are in a feature freeze, and graphics/png is the dependency of
> >> a lot of ports, I don't think we'll see it in before 9.1 is released.  I
> >> am not the maintainer however, so I'm only guessing.
> >> Have you tried to update the port yourself, and send the patch as a pr?

> > I hadn't thought of that, but if I could do that, it would help me better
> > understand and work with the ports framework.  But would anybody commit it?

> > But png-1.5.13 was released upstream some time before the FreeBSD ports
> > feature freeze.  Yes, I know graphics/png is a dependency of many ports, from
> > the +REQUIRED_BY file in /var/db/ports/png-1.x.y

> > Tom

> First, try contacting the maintainer, dinoex@.  It's possible that
> Dirk already has the update ready and waiting for 9.1-release. If not,
> he would probably be happy to have someone else provide a head start.

> While the formal freeze has not been in place for long, an informal
> freeze for a few ports has been in place for a while. The port
> maintainers of things like Gnome, which have potential for massive
> impact, have been holding off on major up-dates. graphics/png is
> pretty much on the same category.

> Once 9.1 is out and has had a bit of time to be sure that there are no
> major surprises, I expect a really massive churn in ports. This is
> fairly typical for new releases.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer

I didn't realize the FreeBSD ports people would be so cautious with png.

NetBSD pkgsrc was johnny-on-the-spot with this png update, though they are
behind on some other packages.

I've been building NetBSD releng-5, 6 and HEAD i386 and amd64 from source,
from FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE, and building modular Xorg from pkgsrc from the new
USB-stick NetBSD installations, keeping the source code and work directories
on hard drive.  Those modular Xorg meta-packages built with png-1.5.12 had a
serious flaw that would render practically unusable as the xterm command
prompt would fall far below the window, but this was much ameliorated with
more recent builds after png was updated to 1.5.13.

But other packages might have been updated too, so I can't really say if the
improvement was related to png.

By the way, NetBSD is far less stable than FreeBSD, I would say NetBSD is not
fit for production work on my new computer.

Tom