Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 09:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any one still use UUCP?

According to Martin Cracauer:
> In <199805082155.RAA00455@stratos.net>, drifter@stratos.net wrote:
>
> > 	So, is UUCP a dying art?  Is it that some places just don't have
> > access to the Internet or an Ethernet, but they can arrange for UUCP?
> > Or is there some advantage to UUCP that I am not aware about?
>
> In fact, the copy of your mail I read was tranferred by uucp (over
> tcp).
>
> Mail batching is easier and more flexible if you use uucp. The
> sendmail queue trick works only if the target machine isn't
> reachable. My mail-reading machine is reachable, but every single
> connect costs 12 Pfennig (Germany...), so I batch manually, while a
> "real" tcp sendmail would contact my machine verytime a mail
> @freebsd.org arrives.
>
> Also, I can easily compress mails, which is a great thing for German
> users who pay on a per-megabyte count. Not that it speeds up much for
> small mails, but it is cheaper.

	Another use for UUCP//email is retrieving files
	via ftpmail (or bitftp).  A port that I recently
	submitted, rftp, reconstructs ftpmail-fetched
	tarballs from their many (dozens, scores) of
	email messages and puts the reconstructed file
	into a directory.

	This was useful for all the years that my only
	link was a uucp site 3500km from where I was.

	gary