Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 06:05:36 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sophisticated executable/library dependency checking in ports

>One thing that has been praying on my mind recently is we seem to have
>creeping featurism in the bsd.port*.mk files. Newer versions of the
>source tree probably will fall over with older .mk files. Is there
>any way of getting a clean version of the RCS ID into a
>PORTS_VERSION make variable and have a NEED_VERSION=?.?? variable
>in the makefile, which if it fails (i.e. PORTS_VERSION < NEED_VERSION) then
>it politely tells the user how to upgrade.

We really need this feature. Then we SHOULD realize that, in effect, the
whole system is a "port". These same features need to apply to the whole
tree, particularly the build tools, as well.

Another thing that I have seen recently is hard coding of paths.
IMHO, this must stop. I am trying to get to a point where I can compile one
version of "world" without destroying the system on which I am running. To
do this, ALL paths will have to become relative.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net