Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:06:28 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modifying makefiles

Tadimeti Keshav wrote:

>hi
>SInce I am behind a modem, I downloaded my fav ports
>(source files) and copied them to
>/usr/ports/distfiles.

Yea im behind a modem too at home (and a firewall) (in a VMware VM) but
I can still download the src ppackages in freebsd..... whats this have
to do with anything, why can't you download?

>Some of the makefiles in the ports target a higer
>version of the application than I have, and some the
>lower version.
>I made the changes in the makefile and adjusted the
>MD5 values in the distinfo file, but make fails in the
>patch section. Is there a way around this (i know it
>is ugly) other than downloading from the net?

I would just stop right there before you dig yourself into a deeper hole
and fuge the system all up, have you read the handbook latey?:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

What about the FAQ too?:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html

We also have a whole page just for newbies:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

And we even have man pages too:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi