Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:29:27 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        "Harald Schmalzbauer" <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to detach da0? (when unpluging harddisk)

At Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:02:26 +0100,
Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> these are my first steps with firewire and I'm astonished how beautiful
> things are working!!! Great work!!!
> I have an Adaptec firewire controller under 5.0-RC2 and when I connect my
> "Advance" external drive (fw & USB2) it's well recognized and I get da0. But
> when I unplug the device and do a "camcontrol devlist" I still see the
> "REXON" da0 and "camcontrol rescan all" is just hangig. Also sysinstall for
> example is not working in this state.
>
> So my question is how do I remove a device?

The driver doesn't detach the device just after unplug to avoid
unexpected detaching of mounted filesystem.

The device will be detached if it's not pluged after several bus
reset. Try 'fwcontrol -r' or plug and unplug another device several
times.

Fwcontrol will be included in RC3 or you can get it from
http://people.freebsd.org/~simokawa/firewire/

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html