Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:09:47 -0500
From:      Ron McCy <mccyron@kc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.x  Installation failure - White Stripes on initial boot.

Toomas Aas wrote:

>Hi!
>

>>  Computer: SpaceWalker-Pentium III.800mHz, 256MB, 20GB
>>  hd running FreeBSD 4.8 as the only operating system.
>>  Goal: Non graphical work stattion - possible Samba
>>  server.
>>
>>After an minimal installation the system "freezes"
>>shortly after passing the boot manager and the monitor
>>shows several long, white vertical stripes that
>>resemble bar codes. The system is unresponsive and has
>>to be forced to cold boot.
>>

>Does this also happen when you boot to single user mode?
>
>If it does, then I'm not sure what's wrong - sounds like some hardware
>incompatibility. Maybe someone can tell after seeing the dmesg.
>
>If it doesn't then I'm curious exactly what kind of install did you do?
>What distributions did you choose to install? It may be worth to
>install only the bare minimum at first and later add everything else
>via ports/packages - that's what I usually do.
>--
>Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
>* Money is the root of all evil.  For more info send $39

I tried installing the MINIMAL installation with 4.9 and 4.8. The thing
dies so quickly- shortly
afterh the boot manager completes -  I don't get a boot option as with
my other FreeBSD
computers. My only hope in figuring this our via dmesg is through a
trial installation I did with
SuSe Linux...which works fine.

Thanks