Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 15:04:32 +0100
From:      Titus von Boxberg <tboxberg@schuett-elektronik.de>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, MikeM <mike_bsdlists@yahoo.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

Alex Belits wrote:
> > Anyone who has anything to do with the Internet must deal with UTF-8:
> > "Protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8 charset, which consists of the ISO
> > 10646 coded character set combined with the UTF-8 character encoding
> > scheme, as defined in [10646] Annex R (published in Amendment 2), for all
> > text." <RFC 2277>
>
>   This is not approved by ANYONE but a bunch of "unificators". It never
> was widely discussed, and affected people never had a chance to give any
> input. This is the same kind of "standard documents" that ITU issues by
> dozens.

I don't guess what meaning could be transferred by the quotation
marks around standard documents.
As far as I know (especially the Q, X and I series), the ITU-T produces
quite good standards that are widely, if not globally accepted
(just think about V.34 or V.29, V.17, T.30 and so on).
Check'em out and try to send a fax. It works globally. Quite astonishing, isn't it?
Or, if that isn't sufficient, you may use the same software to connect
to X.25 networks all around the world. You can establish modem connections
around the world (after Bell labs standards ceased to exist). You can
connect the same ISDN equipment virtually everywhere in Europe to the
trunk line...

If Unicode is equally well accepted, there should be no problem with it.

Bye,

Titus
titus@pleach.de