Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:08:13 -0600
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        costin <gicabulica@edison.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More install problems

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:48:31 +0200
costin <gicabulica@edison.ro> wrote:

>   Hi!
>
>   I don`t want to bother anyone but I can`t install the native port.
>
>   After installing the linux-sun-jdk1.3 when I run the jdk13 make
>   install I keep receiving the same error:
>

> Hunk #1 succeeded at 25.
> done
> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for jdk-1.3.1p7_2
> ===>  Configuring for jdk-1.3.1p7_2
> ===>  Building for jdk-1.3.1p7_2
> i386 Build started:   1.3.1-p7-root-030205-16:42
> ERROR: BOOTDIR does not point to a valid Java 2 SDK
>        Check that you have access to
>         /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java
>        and/or check your value of ALT_BOOTDIR.
>
> Exiting because of the above error(s).
> gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk13.
>

> I`ve looked through the Makefile and I see that when the
> Native Bootstrap method is used their is no linux involved. However
> the BUILD says that one need a jdk compiler in order to boot-up the
> process.
>

> I see that the variables from the BUILD file are already set in the
> Makefile but when used with the NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP option again the
> error message appears.
>
> The only time I managed to install the port was without the
> NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP option which as far as I can see overwrites/appends
> the linux distribution.

As far as I know all JDKs install into their own directories.  I have jdk-1.1.8, jdk-1.3.1,
 linux-blackstone-jdk-1.3.1 and linux-sun-jdk-1.3.1 all installed.  Which one is used is based on your
path and JAVA_HOME variables.  I'm about to also install the 1.4 native jdk as soon as my makeworld
finishes.

And again, you need a working JDK to bootstrap a native install.  After the native install you can nuke
the Linux install if you wish.

GB

> Can anyone help me?
>
> --
>  Thanks,
>  costin

GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek
           CTHULU for President - Why choose the lesser of two evils?