Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:14:12 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

> I wan too know, in full detail, the difference between FreeBSD, and
> Linux, why is linux more popular, why the heck FreeBSD doesnot have
> support for simple things like Parralel port scanners, why the linux
> ports is few Gigabytes, why I am still pretty sure that FreeBSD is
> better.

	I think this is mostly because of how the developement of the two
systems is going. Linux has been and always will be a operating system
developed by a bunch of high school and college kids (with some exceptions
of course...) Now, that kind of target group tends to be a home user
group, cheap crappy hardware, games, etc.
	The FreeBSD developement has been by professionals with years of
OS production under their belts. These people have no interest in games,
are able to afford good quality hardware (and in fact are loath to buy
otherwise... they have been in to many situations where a critical piece
of equipment blew up.) They also tend to be the type that run full blown
servers.
	Part of the problem we're seeing is that all those kids who
developed Linux are now getting jobs in IS departments world wide. They're
now pushing (quietly or otherwise,) Linux in as the answer to their
problems. AND, compared to the Windows answer, it's a good one...

						Rick