Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 09:20:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        proff@suburbia.net (Julian Assange)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync

> > THe only un-cool thing is the GPL virus.
>
> I whole-heartedly support the GPL philosophy. Even though it has gone
> out of vouge. New information is built on and from existing information.
> The speed that information evolves in complexity and function is
> directly related how available it is. Retardation of information flows
> decreases the efficiency and efficacity of human knowledge.

These are all my opinions, so don't blame others (including the
FreeBSD team) for them :-):

Actually, I find that implementation isn't the "hard part."   It is
the idea behind the implementation.  If I see a commercial (proprietary)
example, I can usually re-implement it much more easily than if I have to
invent the idea also.

Given that, the notion that GPLed source code somehow "frees" ideas, is
significantly lessened, from my viewpoint.  Commercial enhancement
of GPLed software is less desirable by the ones who are doing the work
than if software that is freeer, like under the BSDL.  At least an idea can
be implemented in a proprietary fashion,  then people like me can see that
the idea exists, and then can re-implement it for more free use and freer
redistribution.  A business who creates enhancements to BSDLed code has the
freedom to decide at a later date whether or not to redistribute source code,
under the more free and liberal BSDL terms (and in fact, the terms for the
modifications might even be more strict than BSDL, if such terms are needed
to remain competitive.)

Again, in my more mature years, I have not seen that "coding" is the hard
part of programming.  It is error-prone, but not always "hard."  Finding the
interface specs, and understanding what needs to be done is more tricky, but
only then, coding (including testing) is the challenge.  (Note
that I use/develop code on NT at work, and there are ideas to be learned from
examples from that OS, believe it or not.)  Now, the easy part is to implement
some of the ideas.

It is only the implementation (embodiment) that comes under GPL.  The
commercial enhancement of GPLed code in a competitive market might not happen
as often as it could, because of the redistribution terms in GPL.  Given these
arguments, GPL stunts itself, because commercial companies are not as likely to
add new embodiments of ideas to the (GPL) code base.  The disincentive is that
the commercial, proprietary embodiments must be allowed to be disclosed to those
that receive the (binary) code.  At that point, the competition can have
access to the embodiment of ideas, and the cost of entry is diminished.  For
small companies that can be disaster.

> GPL does not forbid commercial use, providing source is made available.

GPL forbids the choice of keeping your modifications private much of
the time, if you need to redistribute binaries as a side-effect of your
use.  It a-priori denys you the freedom to keep your implementation of
ideas from competition.  Under BSDL, you can choose to release your
implementation (potentially to the competition) anytime or never.

So, to sum it up, it seems likely that BSDL is much more desirable for
commercial use and embodiment of ideas (implementation.)  The free
software world can re-implement, if needed.  The implementation is the
easy part, but the ideas are "hard."

John