Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:16:06 +0100
From:      Piotr Smyrak <ps.ports@smyrak.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No loader.lua boot error after upgrade to 13-STABLE

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:16:59 +0100
Piotr Smyrak <ps.ports@smyrak.com> wrote:

> After source upgrading my Thinkpad to 13.0-STABLE at c3915f848b56 it
> ends up booting with an error:
>=20
> ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: no such file or directory
>=20
> Yet the same source build runs flawlessly on my desktop with full
> disk ZFS setup, the laptop is UFS based though. I have read a bunch of
> tickets at bugzilla, including: 233098, 238749, 251250 =E2=80=93 and have=
 not
> found a solution.

Perhaps to help others that mind end up in this state, here is how one
might restore a working state.

During the installworld the /boot directory will conveniently get
backed up copies of older loaders similarly to the way old kernel is
shifted.=20

Removing /boot/loader, and copying /boot/loader_lua.old to
/boot/loader_lua got me a working machine.=20

This older laptop has got no option to change BIOS options, as you
might get suggested elsewhere.

HTH,
--=20
 Piotr Smyrak