Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 10:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
Cc:        faulkner@devnull.mpd.tandem.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem booting SNAP floppy on PCI/I-486SP3G

> > > Rod,
> > > My 486 PCI  Asus Box boots FreeBSD current great... but the latest snap
> > > boot floppy and the fixit disk do not.  Everything is cool until the PCI
> > > is found.

> > I tried all my boards here, and every one of them works.  I will bring
> > in a PCI/I-486SP3G this week and see if I can track this down.  You
> > mention that this works with a -current kernel, what happens if
> > you put that kernel on floppy?  Or if you copy the floppy kernel to
> > hard disk as /kernel.flp and try to boot it?
> >
> I tried copying the boot floppy to the hard disk and it still will not boot.
> I looked at the BOOTFLP config file in /sys/i386/conf and found this entry
> that I do not have in CATBURG.
>
> options         "SCSI_NCR_MAX_SYNC=0"   #Restrict NCR to asynch. transfers
>
> Could this be it?

Could be, but it worked here with the NCR810's on 4 different systems,
and I am using the same disk drive you have (only more of them :-)).

Do you have anything besides the DEC3053L disk on you scsi bus now?
You also say that a -current kernel works fine, what happens if
you build BOOTFLP from you -current sources and try to boot it?

(I know, lots of questions and no real answers :-().