Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:08:55 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vanishing isdnd - whats that ?

Christoph Weber-Fahr writes:
>Hallo,

>_
>> >
>> >Hm... but why does it work then, after beeing started ? Remember,
>> >this problem only occurs after recalculation of timeouts.
>>
>> the ioctl in the kernel is only called when isdnd notices that it has to
>> update the rates value. This isn't likely to happen immediately after
>> it's (re)started.
>
>Hm... but it shouldn't it be likely to happen sometime during
>'active duty' - at least when connections are opened ?
>
>I can
>- start isdnd
>- open connection
>- work with it for a few hours
>
>with these settings just fine. I just should avoid rate zone changes...
>
>Curious...

isdnd checks to see whether an update is required and invokes the ioctl:
1) once an hour, if the connection is established that long AND you set
unitlengthsrc=rate in isdnd.rc
2) if you have AOCD, whenever it notices that the Telekom has changed the
unit length (this happens when the kernel sends a charge message) AND
you've set unitlengthsrc=aocd

since most of the unit lengths are valid for many hours (see the rates file)
you can easily go for hours without anything happening.

I recommend that you set unitlengthsrc=none and unitlength to some
outrageously large value, like 2e9 (it's an int) until Hellmuth puts
up the next version (with the fix he mentioned in a recent mail) for
public consumption.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de