Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:32:37 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC] make upgrade target for bsd.port.mk

Hi,

http://people.freebsd.org/~reg/

> Hmmm, I wonder does this need to be generalized to include other kinds
> of files too?

I had thought of just merging in the old +CONTENTS file with the new
+CONTENTS and leaving all of the old files behind, but that would be a
mess for things which often do big changes in directory structure (like
GNOME, KDE or Mozilla).  At the moment I think we can follow the route
of making things work in the default case, and then working on fixing
the corner cases as people find them.  Mostly, if you just upgrade a
package at the base of a whole tree (like GTK+ or ghostscript often are)
then, if things break in the packages which required these, generally
you can also upgrade this package to the latest package via
Ports/Packages, and things will work.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/