Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 23:33:56 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Packet Aliasing Broke?

> > The bloat I was concerned with was more to do with the installation
> > disk footprint rather than the in-core footprint
>
> Ah, sorry, I wasn't considering that piece of the puzzle.
>
> Well, it seems like there are several ways you could go with it.
> Count on a symlink named "libalias.so" in some well-known place.  Or,
> make the hard-coded path to the library overridable from the ppp
> Makefile.  Or, have ppp search a few likely directories to find the
> pathname for dlopen.  Or, muck around in src/release/Makefile.

I think I'll battle src/release/Makefile - I have to anyway (the ppp
binary that shipped with 2.2.6 was wrong because I got my last update
to that Makefile wrong!).  Once the RELEASE_CRUNCH definition works,
it's trivial to add to the

  .if defined(NOALIAS) || defined(RELEASE_CRUNCH)

bit of the Makefile and have libalias loaded normally (if at all).

> For that matter, I could probably learn to live with the dlfind()
> idea if it just always found the highest minor number where minor
> numbers existed at all:
>
>     const char *dlfind(const char *name, int version);
>
> I think the leading "lib" part of the name should be implicit, so
> that the call would be like:  const char *path = dlfind("alias", 2);

Agreed.  It might be nice to have this anyway (even if it's not
required by ppp)..... does anything else use dlopen() ?

In any case, it should probably be left 'till the a.out/elf changes
have solidified.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;