Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2009 05:00:14 +1100
From:      Horst =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Burkhardt III <horst@sxemacs.org>
To:        Colin Dick <cdick@ocis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 Install on an older Mac Mini

--=-MSwOXegaZH0JLDSoulNG

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 08:37 -0800, Colin Dick wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I have been lurking in this list for a few months now and it seems that=
 the posts cover pretty advanced topics.  Or at
> least they seem to be advanced topics to me.  I am wanting to load FreeBS=
D onto one of these:
>=20
> http://support.apple.com/kb/SP65 (the 1.25GHz model upgraded to 1G of RAM=
)
>=20
>   My intention is to replace a larger PC running Linux that is on its las=
t legs with this small machine running FreeBSD
> 7.  I run a number of FreeBSD servers but all on the i386 platform.  I th=
ought if I could get it to load, the rest would
> be the same?
>   It seems like I can boot the initial FreeBSD 7 disk and walk through th=
e initial configuration (except for the section
> for slicing the drive).  I can pick my partitions etc... however, when in=
stall goes to start, the partitions are not
> found?  I have read that it has something to do with the location of the =
boot manager or where the loader is or something?
>=20
>   I think I am learning now that this concept is not for the faint of hea=
rt and that I might be better to just give up
> and find a new i386 machine to port my web/mysql/email/dns servers to.  J=
ust looking for some feedback from this forum
> what my best options might be.  Does anyone know of another forum, mailli=
st, resource for people who are running
> PPCFreeBSD as hosting servers?  Thanks in advance.
>=20
> --
> Colin Dick

Hey Colin,

Welcome to the list :)

You are correct in that when you can get FreeBSD to load, it will be
pretty much the same as FreeBSD/i386 - the only difference is you'll
need to compile things because basically the packages aren't compiled as
much for ppc (due to lack of hardware and cpu time as i understand
it)... this shouldn't be an issue for you.

No, the install isn't for the faint of heart, but thankfully the people
on the -ppc list have been (in my experience) welcoming and exceedingly
helpful. You should have an ok time getting FreeBSD running if you just
have a little patience.

FreeBSD-PPC as a hosting platform is no different to FreeBSD-i386 as a
hosting platform, all the software is the same. If you want help,
##FreeBSD on the freenode IRC network will help you with general
questions, and you may find some use hanging around bsdforums.=20

Some notes:=20

When compiling things, if you optimise for the 7455 chip in your
computer, you will need to include=20

 /---------------------------------------------------------------------
|     -march=3D7450 -mtune=3D7455 -mno-altivec
 \---------------------------------------------------------------------

in your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS - as the kernel does not yet understand
Altivec instructions the ommission of -mno-altivec will cause Bad Shit=E2=
=84=A2
to happen.=20

In order to partition your disk, you'll want to use the debian 4.0
netinst disc for mac, and set up as mac format partition tables.=20
Another option is to use Parted on a livecd like Finnix.

The bootloader installation will require you to compile hfstools, unless
you have a -CURRENT tree which has a small hfs filesystem image in it
(as I understand it from stuff Nathan Whitehorn posted)

This is just stuff from the lists that I ran across, it may hopefully
spare you _some_ trouble.=20

If you have any questions, just ask on the list and someone more skilled
(infinitely more skilled) than I can answer and help you :)=20

Once again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy the ride! :D

-- Horst.

--=-MSwOXegaZH0JLDSoulNG

--=-MSwOXegaZH0JLDSoulNG--