Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:16:37 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation changes?

Folks,

   I'm wondering if there have been some changes made in the
installation procedure for -CURRENT from -STABLE?

   What I'm hoping for is a completely unattended installation
procedure.  Once I select what I want installed, I want to be able to
select the installation method, input my configuration details for the
machine, and then be able to walk away.  I don't want to see any
warnings about XFree-whatever being a required package but not (yet)
installed, etc....  I certainly don't want to have to hit return a
bazillion times to get through the warnings about XFree.

   If there is an ftp server timeout, I'd like to be able to have the
program re-try with the same server after a specified amount of delay,
specify a set of alternate servers to attempt to install with, or
perhaps even have the program automatically test and determine which
servers are responding most quickly.

   I'd also like to see an http installation method, one that would
hopefully successfully make it through firewalls (and/or proxy
servers), much better than either NFS or ftp.

   Thanks!  I appreciate any information you can give me about upcoming
changes to the installation procedure.

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
    <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]