Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:55:13 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing ports witout internet

Lee Harr wrote:
>> I've always used FreeBSD on machines connected to the internet... so I
>> have never experienced installing applications offline.
>>
>> My question is: Is it possible to install applications (using the port
>> collection ) on a machine that's not connected to the internet?
>
> Possible? Of course. Fun? Not exactly.
>
> Thing is, FreeBSD is designed to be connected to a network. Things
> are so easy that I constantly amaze people with installing all
> sorts of software just by typing a few words.
>
> Once you disconnect from the network, you have to do all of the
> dependency checking, downloading, transferring, building, etc
> manually. It won't be fun.

"make fetch-recursive", then burn /usr/ports/distfiles (or all of
/usr/ports, for that matter, if you just want to "make install" without
waiting to recompile) to a CD-ROM.

Then again, there's no reason why the OP couldn't build out a system
that was connected to the Internet as they please, back that up, and
then restore to the offline system.

--
-Chuck