Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:00:09 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Greg Quinlan <gquinlan@qmpgmc.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ronno@blaze.net.au
Subject:   Re: MSCAN - named - Vulnerability

On Thu 1998-08-06 (09:48), Greg Quinlan wrote:
> This is a reference for futher reading:
>
> http://www.ja.net/CERT/CERT-CC/cert_advisories/CA-98.05.bind_problems
>
> Is FreeBSD 2.2.5 vulnerable to the named/bind overflow hack!

As far as my experience, the exploit didn't seem to work on my machine
personally, but it did knock over my named, which also means trouble.

You should update your named, preferably to bind 8.1.2 (I think).

Use cvsup to update your ports directory (or just ports/net), and
type make install.  Comes with a converter from bind4 named.boot to
bind8's named.conf.  (I'm not too sure about update paths for bind4)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za