Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:33:49 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Kenneth Chiu <chiuk@cs.indiana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gjb@alpha.comkey.com.au
Subject:   Re: BSD filesystems & MBR

> >> I keep seeing references that repeat this advice, but I have not
> >> seen any compelling reasons for it.  Is there any real reason
> >> why, on a machine that will never run anything but FreeBSD, this
> >> could present a problem?
> >
> > The only "real" reason that I know of is the one that came across
> > the lists recently.  As I understand it, the BIOS on a particular
> > machine gets confused by the absence of a "normal" partition table,
> > causing it to pass bogus data to the boot blocks.
>
> Correct, I've heard this too.  I've seen a lot of discussion on the
> subject, and I'm no wiser.  Some claim that dangerously dedicated
> disks don't work at all with modern BIOSes; others make a distinction
> between safely dedicated and dangerously dedicated.  All don't supply
> enough information to convince me, but I haven't had time to look at
> it myself.

I've been using the equivalent of "dangerously dedicated" disks
on both IDE and SCSI disks on a range of PCs from a 486-33 that
dates back to 1991 up to boxes built in the last couple of weeks
running various releases of BSD/OS and FreeBSD.  I have never
had any problems with this, and don't expect to (since I'll only
ever switch to different BSD versions).

I certainly don't buy the theory about dangerously dedicated
disks not working at all with modern BIOSes -- unless this is
something that is supposed to show up in random use some time
after a successful installation, which sounds far-fetched to me.

I'm guessing here, but it looks as though any problems should
declare themselves when you first install to a new disk if they
are going to happen at all.  Does anybody have an informed
opinion on this last theory?

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>