Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 15:40:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Multiple FreeBSDs on One Disk

IIRC, BootEasy has trouble with multiple FreeBSD slices. That is,
it only sees the first FreeBSD slice, and since there is no way to
specifcy a slice at the 'boot:' prompt, you are kinda stuck.

I would like to clobber my Win98 slice with 3.1 to give it a try. My
other partition is FreeBSD 2.2.7. This presents two problems, the one
mentioned above, and second, 3.1 can't be booted by the old
bootstrapper due to the a.out to ELF move.

Can the new 3.1 boot handle this? i.e. Will it allow me to choose or
specify which FreeBSD partition to choose from and if it does, can it
actually boot both?

If it can't, what are some work arounds? Could I have one boot from HD
and one from floppy (this would work if one bootstrapper could see
both slices and some how allow me to pick one of them)? I only have a
single IDE HD, and no other read-write, bootable devices.

I could not find this in the FAQ, Handbook, or 3.1 release notes. Mail
archive searches return a message that the archives are not available
at the moment... what's that about? I follow -questions fairly closely
and have seen this mentioned but cannot for the life of me remember
the solution (or verification there is none).