Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:51:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video capture

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Antony T Curtis wrote:

ATC>Harti Brandt wrote:
ATC>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Antony T Curtis wrote:
ATC>>
ATC>> ATC>Is there an analogous specification for FreeBSD as Linux's V4L?
ATC>> ATC>
ATC>> ATC>Is there interest (except of myself) for such a beast?
ATC>>
ATC>> There is no such thing. It would be nice to have one (but not so broken by
ATC>> design as V4L).
ATC>
ATC>I'm open to suggestions.... In a past life, I messed about with MMOS/2
ATC>(OS/2's multimedia subsystem) but that doesn't qualify me for such a task.
ATC>
ATC>
ATC>As to how such a thing be implemented - does it sound reasonable to
ATC>create a CAM-like abstraction of which all the video devices may be
ATC>connected to?
ATC>
ATC>It would be great to have something in place which is not so device
ATC>specific.

Yes, I strongly suggest a layer above the video drivers. Well, I could
assist you in the design of such a thing, having written a couple of
applications that use video under FreeBSD and Solaris. But this would be
not earlier than august, because I'm leaving for vacation in the next
days.

ATC>> ATC>I'm messing about writing a KLD for a OV511 based USB capture device and
ATC>> ATC>it would be nice if there was some generic interface for all such
ATC>> ATC>devices. All I can see in STABLE is the bktr device for capturing.
ATC>>
ATC>> The bktr more or less works. There are a number of issues, where the chip
ATC>> documentation seems to be wrong, but you can easily get 25 fps without
ATC>> much cpu usage.
ATC>
ATC>I have two old video capture boards which are not in use... One is a
ATC>"Black Widow" branded ISA board (which I have some DOS source code to
ATC>drive it) and the other is a PCI board with a "Zoran" chip on it.

I would also be interested in getting USB cameras and Firewire under this
api.

harti

--
harti brandt,