Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:30:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Victor M. Carranza G." <victor@mp.lex.gob.gt>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP Aliases / DNS round-robbin ... how?

I am trying to set up several IP addresses (same subnet) in one of my
ethernet interfaces. I have a Squid http proxy and socks5 proxy in this
machine, which work very well... but some problems arise when a site does
not allow more than one concurrent connection from the same IP address...
so, I was thinking about assigning several addresses to the outside
interface and use DNS to sequentially assign them to outgoing connections.

My problem is:  When I try to assign more than three IP addresses (netmask
0xfffffff8) to the same interface, the fourth attempt (and the subsequent
ones) produces a "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists" error. The
address appears assigned, but it does not respond to ping.  Reading the
handbook, I found that the "correct" method is to assign the IP aliases
using a 0xffffffff netmask. Doing so effectively permits adding several
aliases, but then, DNS ignores all of them and returns only the original
(non-alias) address :(

What am I doing wrong? Is there another procedure to accomplish the same
task (besides using several ethernet cards)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Victor M. Carranza G.

P.S. The ethernet card is an ISA one. My FreeBSD version is
3.0-971006-SNAP.