Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Desmond da Peoples <que_deseja@hotmail.com>
Cc:        tevans.uk@googlemail.com, anton@hesiod.org, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: gpart is junk

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Desmond da Peoples wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> >> (Sorry to pick at just parts of your email^E)
> >>
> >> The current GEOM configuration is available from a sysctl in machine
> >> readable format - check out kern.geom.confxml. If you are concerned

kern.geom.confxml is far from readable.  kern.geom.conftxt is closer,
but still not anywhere as readable as bsdlabel.

> >> about your partitions changing underneath you, storing and then
> >> comparing output from this sysctl gives you a simple way to determine
> >> what.
> >>
> >> A human readable version can be obtained from the gpart tool.
> >>
> >> IMHO, gpart and GEOM are fantastic. gpart is a much simpler tool to
> >> use than fdisk, and fully understands every kind of disk partitioning
> >> you can throw at it, whilst fdisk is only a tool for playing with MBR.
> >> The gpart man page explains clearly and concisely how to use it.
> >>
> >> GEOM provides a clear framework that anything can plug in to, from
> >> labels to whole disk encryption.
> >
> > It is not simple.  All I want is Solaris format utility (partition
> > and label).
>
> For someone such as myself- and others- who use PowerPC(64)/POWER
> systems, gpart is far from being junk. Fdisk is basically useless
> on an APM table or to even create such. You also have the choice
> of creating a partition scheme with a Linux live CD and then
> adjusting the partition types with gpart. You can use gparted.
> Maybe you haven't noticed that gpart givess you the option of
> different partition tables from the start.

gpart is a low-level tool to be used by someone who knows
exactly what they are doing.  It is not useful for someone
who just wants to partition and label a disk and doesn't
have hours of free time to read and understand gpart.

I want the capability of the old installer.  Where is that?
Ahh, I found it - I guess it is /usr/sbin/bsdinstall :-)

--
DE