Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:00:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fjrm@yahoo.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharing external RAID with FreeBSD

>What would it take for FreeBSD to be able to share an
>external SCSI RAID system?

   If the servers are accessing different LUNs (and thus different
filesystems), then it should work already. If you want the servers to
have shared access to the same filesystem, then that's a whole different
thing that requires a new type of filesystem. Basically the servers need
to coordinate accesses to the filesystem via a lock protocol, and they
need to have a way of handling cache coherency. The closest thing to
meeting these goals that I've seen so far is the "Global File System",
and last I heard, someone was working on porting it to FreeBSD.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.