Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:45:30 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Richard Fairfield" <rcf@ms.washington.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make installworld fails

From: "Richard Fairfield" <rcf@ms.washington.edu>
To: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 8:45 PM

> > > Here are the contents of /etc/cvsupfile :
> > >
> > > *default  host=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
> > > *default  base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > > *default  prefix=/usr
> > > *default  release=cvs
> > > *default  tag=RELENG_4_4
> >
> > That's the security branch for 4.4-RELEASE and not 4.5-RELEASE.
> >
> > Oops :)
> >
> > Giorgos.
> >
> Oops it right! The string above string "RELENG_4_4" is a typo. I'm
> not sure how it got in there. What I meant to have there is "RELENG_4",
> which is what I originally had on a different system after running
cvsupit.

> But I'm confused about whether I want the tag string to be RELENG_4 or
> RELENG_4_5. I've read the cvsup section in the handbook, and the cvsup
> sections in FreeBSD Released and The Complete FreeBSD, but I don't
> get it. Can someone explain the difference to me???

Hopefully I can, it's not _too_ hard.  RELENG_4_5 was FBSD 4.5-RELEASE
in January and has since become "patched" with security fixes until it's no
longer
what it was...some people (perhaps Linux backgrounds) call it 4.5-RELEASEpx
(I think x=6 or more....)  It might be called the -SECURITY branch by some,
but it's really just 4.5-RELEASE that has been patched for you by someone
else.

RELENG_4 is -STABLE.  It was the same as RELENG_4_5 at the moment
4.5-RELEASE was built. Since that time, RELENG_4 has had not only
security fixes, but all kinds of changes and improvements that will lead to
it
being 4.6-RELEASE whenever the RELease ENGineering team is ready for
4.6, which should be any day now...at some future point, RELENG_4 might
branch to a 4.7-RELEASE, etc.  Then, at some date in 2003, -CURRENT
will step to the limelight as 5.0-RELEASE and RELENG_4 will slowly
vanish into the mists of memory...but, no worries, RELENG_5 will take
it's place as -STABLE and -CURRENT race ahead to a grand future,
albeit on seperate roads...  ;-)

Some folks are reluctant to run RELENG_4 on "production" servers
because code gets committed to the -STABLE branch that may be
removed later because a better way is found (these folks think of
-STABLE as a beta-release of the next 4.x, I guess....)  A RELEASE
tag indicates that a lot more testing has gone into the build.  STABLE
is rebuilt frequently (daily perhaps? I know -CURRENT is...)

One of the later chapters in the Handbook, "the Cutting Edge," has
definitive info on this.

> thanks again,
> rcf

HTH, Kevin Kinsey