Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:22:32 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Boris Gelfand <bg@cse.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: green_saver acting wacky in 3.4-R

Boris Gelfand wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Prior to a complete re-install with 3.4-R, I ran 3.0 and 3.2
> on my Panasonic CF-35 as well as a Gateway Solo at work with no
> problems.  Since going to 3.4-R on both machine, my green_saver
> in console mode has started to go wacky.  Whenever it fires up,
> both displays show color bleed and ghost images  -- pretty scary
> stuff.
>
> One laptop has Neomagic and the other Chips&Tech.  I've got my
> kernel with the speudo-device splace, and "VM86" & "VESA" options
> turned on.  Other screen savers work fine (blank, snake, etc.)
> "power_saver" mode in XFree86 works fine as well -- suspend
> properly turns off the backlight, etc.
>
> Any idea as to what's up?

Try using the apm saver instead of the green one. The apm one
actually uses the APM bios to do its work. This is likely to
be friendlier to your LCD.

One way to know if the apm saver will work for you is to type

apm -d 0 ; sleep 30 ; apm -d 1

and see if your display blanks out for 30 seconds and comes back.
This is exactly the same thing as what the apm saver does.

I _think_ the apm saver is in 3.x, but I could be wrong. It is certainly
in 4.x. Unfortunately, the apm saver is not one of the choices in
sysinstall.
It relies on apm being available, and by default it's disabled (not only
is apm_enable NO by default, but the driver itself is disabled in
GENERIC).