Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:41:59 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <a.reilly@lake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit

Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 11:48:41PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > Actually, applications are written assuming that malloc() will not
> > fail, generally speaking.
>
> Is this really the case?  I'm pretty sure I've _never_ ignored the
> possibility of a NULL return from malloc, and I've been using it
> for nearly 20 years.  I usually print a message and exit, but I
> never ignore it.  I thought that was pretty standard practise.

You are always free to inspect how applications deal with malloc(),
as far as open source software goes. Anyway, your "usual" behavior
is to expect malloc() will not fail. To print a message and exit is
to treat it as a fatal error, don't you agree?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Would you like to go out with me?"
	"I'd love to."
	"Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"