Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 2009 00:53:20 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trace for zfs panic mounting fs after crash with RC2

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:02:23 -0600 "James R. Van Artsdalen"
<james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org> wrote about Re: trace for zfs panic mounting
fs after crash with RC2:

JRVA> > I recomplied the kernel with ddb support and got the following
JRVA> > trace (using mount -t zfs instead of zfs mount this time, but
JRVA> > getting the same panic):

JRVA> You may be able to recover your pool by changing the line below, but
JRVA> I have never tried it: it may clobber the pool.  You definitely
JRVA> don't want this change normally!  It may be necessary to avoid
JRVA> calling zil_destroy here too.

Well, as I said before, the pool itself and all other filesystems in it
are fine. The pool can be imported and all other filesystems can be
mounted and used. Just one of it panics the system when I try to mount it.

JRVA> How the ZIL got corrupted - if it did - is a harder question.  What
JRVA> kind of hard disk is this, and how is it connected to the system?
JRVA> Was there any redundancy (mirror, raidz)?

These are 4x2.5" 400GB drives (WD4000BEVT) in a RAID-Z1 setup on a
Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8i controller (LSI chip, mpt driver) in a VIA VB8001
board (powered by a Via Nano 1.6GHz) with 4GB of memory.
The system paniced when I tried to run powerd, after reboot the pool came
back fine, but the system paniced again when trying to mount this
particular fs (tank/sys/var).
Before this happened I had one similar issue when the system crashed
(probably because I was mechanically pushing the controller card a bit too
hard during operation when trying to fix some SATA cables). However, after
this crash the whole pool did not come back and the system paniced when
trying to import the pool - but also with ZIL-replay problems. As this
happened right after installing the base system, I simply re-did the pool
and re-installed the system.
However, with this similar problem after a quite "normal" crash (hey, I
only started powerd) my confidence is a bit low and I would like to have
this fixed before I really put data on the machine.

cu
  Gerrit