Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:18:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Krebs <schrade@schrade.com>
To:        slpalmer@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Riva TNT / XF86 / FreeBSD

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 slpalmer@email.com wrote:

>I've gotten Dave Schmenk's patches, and though they applied cleanly,
>they did not build on my FreeBSD-current box...  I've sent Dave Schmenk
>e-mail, hoping to fix this.  I will make the binary available once I've
>got one ;-)

I was able to successfully patch and compile the server.  I actually let
all of XFree86 3.3.2 compile just to get the server compiled, and then
copied the server to my X11R6/bin dir manually.  It ran just fine for me
on a freshly installed 3.0-RELEASE PII 300 system with a Canopus SPECTRA
2500.  Although I did run into that vm crash problem on exiting the server
;)  Will have to cvsup and make a new kernel to get around that.

Oh.. I had compiled the server on a non-ELF FreeBSD 3.0-current system so
it ended up as an aout binary.  It still ran fine, though.

Here's the steps I had to do to make it work:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
# make patch
# cd work
# ln -s xc xc.org
# patch </tmp/nv.patch
# cd ..
# make

After all the dust settles, X should be built and you can pluck the
compiled XF86_SVGA server out of the source dirs and just copy it over
your previous one.

I'll be rebuilding mine in elf later on tonight when I get home from work.

If anyone wants my aout binary, I'd be happy to share it.  Same with the
elf binary once I get it compiled.  :)

IRC: Schrade	E-Mail: schrade@schrade.com	<URL:http://www.schrade.com/>;