Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 22:45:40 +0200
From:      "Nash J." <nash@home.se>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Writing a Database-driver... program!

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFC051.A01F8F10

Hi,

I'm planning on writing a driver for a very large and slow Storage =
Media, but don't know how to interface the directory listings to the =
FreeBSD OS. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction, on =
how to start writing this software?

The driver I'm trying to write is one that will implore (for now) the =
SCSI bus, where the data comes in from the large Storage Device, and =
also one of the serial buses (com ports); to stear a rather complicated =
PIC-regulated device. My problem is that, I need to get an enormous list =
of files and directories, into my FreeBSD server's file system, so that =
the server sees the _extra_files_ as if they were mounted onto the =
existing set of drives; so as to be able to add " an enormous new drive =
in the /etc/fstab file".

The reason why I want to use a serial port in conjunction with the =
SCSI-2 interface is mainly because I know very little about the =
SCSI-protocol's serious stuff, AND, that this Storage Device is so large =
(around the Tera Byte region), that I doubt the SCSI-2 interface =
supports such a large addressing scheme.

I'm almost sure this qualifies as a form of database programming, but so =
far I've only done minor programming of such nature. Unfortunately, when =
it comes to the interfacing between the device I'm making, and the =
FreeBSD OS, I don't even know where to start.

I'm plannig on writing it in C-language (in case you'd like to know).

My field of expertise is not very much of a software nature, so please =
be kind with the complication of your reply - if any :-)) .

Thank you in advance,
Nader S.

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFC051.A01F8F10

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm planning on writing a driver for a =
very large=20
and slow Storage Media, but don't know how to interface the directory =
listings=20
to the FreeBSD OS. I wonder if someone can point me&nbsp;in the right =
direction,=20
on how to start writing this software?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The&nbsp;driver I'm trying to write is =
one that=20
will implore (for now) the SCSI bus, where the data comes in from the =
large=20
Storage Device, and also one of the serial buses (com ports); to stear a =
rather=20
complicated PIC-regulated device.&nbsp;My problem is that, I need to get =
an=20
enormous list of files and directories, into&nbsp;my FreeBSD server's =
file=20
system, so that the&nbsp;server sees the _extra_files_ as if they were =
mounted=20
onto the existing set of drives; so as to be able to&nbsp;add " an =
enormous new=20
drive in the /etc/fstab file".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The reason why I want to use a serial =
port in=20
conjunction with the SCSI-2 interface is mainly because I know very =
little about=20
the SCSI-protocol's serious stuff, AND, that this Storage Device is so =
large=20
(around the Tera Byte region), that I doubt the SCSI-2 interface =
supports such a=20
large addressing scheme.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm almost sure this qualifies as a =
form of=20
database programming, but so far I've only done minor programming of =
such=20
nature. Unfortunately, when it comes to the interfacing between the =
device I'm=20
making, and the FreeBSD OS, I don't even know where to =
start.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm plannig on writing it in C-language =
(in case=20
you'd like to know).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My field of expertise is not very much =
of a=20
software nature, so please be kind with the complication of your reply - =
if any=20
:-)) .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nader S.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFC051.A01F8F10--