Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 14:59:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Clod Baldrick <baldrick@rmsq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bizarre routing problem

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Clod Baldrick wrote:

Help more....need the ifconfig of the interfaces that are trying to talk
to each other.  As a blind guess, make sure they have the same subnet mask
AND broadcast address, because the broadcast address is both the send and
receive address for the arp that goes out when you ping an address onthe
same subnet.  If an interface isn't listening on the right broadcast
address, it will go right over the interface and never see that it is
being pinged.