Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 01:00:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rnordier@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> J"org writes:
> > As Robert Nordier wrote:
> >
> > > A preen option is a Good Thing.  'fsck' itself has code to parse
> > > /etc/fstab, skipping non-ufs filesystems.  One solution would be
> > > to incorporate equivalent code in 'dosfsck'.  Possibly a more
> > > elegant approach (which may be what you had in mind) would be to
> > > handle the /etc/fstab parsing in a generic front-end.
> >
> > I rather thought of it the other way round: similar to mount(8), keep
> > fsck(8) being the generic front-end that does the fstab parsing and
> > dispatching.  Much like mount(8), it could have builtin knowledge
> > about some file system types (a builtin ufs checker, and the wisdom
> > that procfs, swap, and cd9660 don't require checking at all), while it
> > will call {/usr/sbin,/sbin}/fsck_${fstype} for all other file system
> > types.
>
> Foo.
>
> man getfsent
>
> There are already parsing routines for that file; don't write your
> own code to do it.

I missed 'getfsent'.  Comes of browsing the 'fsck' code too
unquestioningly.

> The things should be calling "fstyp" anyway, which should call an
> ioctl on the device to return FS type from the list of recognized
> types.
>
> The mount code for each FS needs this information anyway, so it can
> tell if it should try mounting it to avoid a panic when you try to
> mount an inappropriate device.  The code should be broken out for
> an iterative call "fstyp" interface.

Presumably this sorts out the problem of doing a mount_msdos on (say)
an HPFS and actually getting away with it, as has happened.

I guess, for mount_msdos, DOS compatibility can't be pursued to the
extent of not requiring a boot sector BPB at all, and just deriving
all FS parameters.

--
Robert Nordier