Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:37:12 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, fcp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 05:02:47PM +0200, Kristof Provost wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2019, at 16:42, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 02:03:00PM +0200, Kristof Provost wrote:
> >> There are, somewhat regularly, commits which break functionality, or
> >> at
> >> the very least tests.
> >> The main objective of this policy proposal is to try to improve
> >> overall
> >> code quality by encouraging and empowering all committers to
> >> investigate
> >> and fix test failures.
> > But this policy does not encourage, if anything.
> > It gives a free ticket to revert, discouraging committers.
> >
> To provide a counterpoint here: my personal frustration right now is
> that I’ve spent a good bit of time adding tests for pf and fixing bugs
> for it, only to see the tests having to be disabled because of unrelated
> (to pf) changes in the network stack.
>
> Either through lack of visibility, or lack of time, or because people
> assume pf tests failures must by definition be the responsibility of the
> pf maintainer, these failures have not been investigated by anyone other
> than me, and I lack the time and subject matter expertise to fix them.
>
> I’m desperately afraid that if/when these bugs do get fixed we’re
> going to discover that other things have broken in the mean time, and
> the tests are still going to fail, for different reasons.
>
> These are bugs. They’re the best case scenario for bug reports even,
> because they come with a reproduction case built-in, and yet they’re
> still not getting fixed. This too is discouraging.
I fully agree with your attitude there, and understand your frustration.
IMO the right action would be to contact the committers who did the
relevant changes, first.  Was it done ?  What was their response ?

If they are silent, next action would be some public mail.

Do you know where the bug is ? If yes, how hard is to fix it ?