Date:      24 Apr 2002 04:43:44 -0600
From:      Zed Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB 802.11b SMC 2662W-CA Anyone?

Hi,

I bought a USB Wireless Adapter manufactured by SMC (2662W) and I've
been tinkering with it trying to see if it will work under freebsd.
I've managed to install it and it will turn on the RX light.  I am just
running into a couple of problems that are probably really basic:

1)  Does anyone know what device this might run under?  I'm thinking it
will be a /dev/aue device, but I have no idea what the major/minor
number is for that.

2)  I read somewhere else that there is firmware that needs to be
downloaded into it before it will work?  Is this a one time thing, or
everytime thing?

3)  Any other pointers?  Should I even bother?

Any help I can get would be great.  I'm probably just going to bring it
back if I can't get it to work.  I was hoping that SMC would be smart
and just make it look like a standard USB Ethernet, but even if it is, I
still can't figure out how to setup one of those, let alone wireless.

Thanks in advance.

Zed A. Shaw