Date:      Fri, 7 Oct 2022 20:38:35 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splitting pkgmgr and portmgr

On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:49:23 +0200
Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> It's been a while since the ports management team (portmgr) needed some
> modernization and updates. To meet today's requirements, we are taking a first
> step: spliting portmgr and pkgmgr.
>
> While portmgr's charter does not change, the part of the responsibility
> regarding the packages management will now be delegated to pkgmgr under the
> portmgr umbrella.
>
> Package management (pkgmgr) team:
>   - its role is to work on the technical side of the package production:
>       + building official packages.
>       + running exp-runs.
>       + maintaining and upgrading the package build infrastructure.
>   - This team will be composed of people that are not part of the portmgr team
>     (no votes for instance) but still will receive the portmgr emails (like
>     lurkers) in a advisory function. Working on the package build

It would be worth considering to contain INDEX build.
Not all, but some of the causes of broken INDEX also causes package
builds.

For these cases, giving the authority of forcibly fix/revert
offending commit(s) to pkgmgr should greatly help, especially for
commits just before weekly package build starts.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>