Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:25:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        Jeffrey Bernt <berntj@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd install question

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Jeffrey Bernt wrote:

> Hello.
> I have just a general question. I have a Pentium Pro server that I want
> freebsd to run on. the LAN Adapter, Intel 8/16 etherexpress adapter, 10
> baseT connected, won't be seen by the freebsd install script. will I
> have to download a different kernel or something? or is there a way to
> tweak the current one with the install disk? We are an educational
> institution (high school) and we would like to install over an ftp
> connection. Is there some secret that I should know about? Please let me
> know.
> Thanks.
> Jeff Bernt
Intel EtherExpress 16? Using the boot floppy, at the boot prompt boot -c
and choose visual.  Select network interfaces and leave the line in  for
the ie0 driver. Intel provides software to configure their cards (under
DOS). Make sure it is set to port 0x300, irq 10, iomem 0xd0000.

If you receive any conflicts with these settings, either change the card
or the conflicting device, or remove the conflicting device if you don't
have it.  I assume, btw, you are installing 2.2.x.

Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498

FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations
http://www.freebsd.org
                     We shall not cease from exploration,
                And the end of our exploring shall be to arrive
            Where we started from, and know the place for the first time.
                       --T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets