Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:46:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Andy Grum <aogrum@vnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from ancient to current...

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Andy Grum wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am currently running FreeBSD 2.1.5, and would like to upgrade to 3.1
> without losing the tremendous amounts of data on my drive (backups are
> unfortunately not an option).
> I have seen several posts containing advice for accomplishing this task
> by altering sysinstall options, but this seems to only apply when
> upgrading from less distant version numbers.  Is it even possible to
> upgrade to current from this ancient a version?

You can do it, I've done it several times.  Do you have room on your
system for the cvs tree?  Or are you going to have to do this from
binaries?

If you have room for the cvs tree, I can help you.  I've never done the
binary path myself, so while I could probably get it done, I'm a poor
choice as far as getting help is concerned, pick someone else who has
experience doing it that way.  I'm nearly certain it's doable, I'm also
nearly certain it's got roadblocks in the way, because of the several
major changes that have occurred on the way.

I moved this to the freebsd-questions list, it's not appropriate for the
current list.

> Any help is appreciated!
> Andy

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |