Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:11:35 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR disk controller, hp disk

On Mar 8, 23:18, "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

} We really need a SCSI expect to go rewrite the firmware for the NCR cards,
} what we have today has so many incompatibility problems it is getting hard
} to spec systes using it :-(.

Rod,

this is plain untrue and you ought to know it ...

(If you happen to have a secret list of incompatible
drives: Well, there's not much I can do.
You are among the least cooperative persons I ever met
(on the net), when it comes to remote error diagnosis
and debug sessions ...)

There have been a few problems with tagged commands and
buggy drive firmware, and they often could be solved by
getting a firmware upgrade from the drive vendor.

There are a few remaining incompatibilities with cheap
CDROM drives (esp. the Chinon 525 and 535). Rod, you are
the one who did wine about this before, since you ARE
making money out of my work, by selling systems with the
NCR, but were too busy to help diagnose the problem.

There is one problem with multiple tagged START STOP
UNIT commands being sent to certain IBM drives, and
those start unit commands are bogus anyway, and while
I could filter them out in the NCR driver, I'm waiting
for a patch to the generic SCSI code to remove the
situation.

I have asked for the -DFAILSAFE for all install kernels
just to be able to make the driver work, even though
it does not use all performance features in the install
process. Those will be available in all custom kernels,
though ...

Regards, Stefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160