Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:24:22 +0100
From:      Geraud CONTINSOUZAS <geraud.continsouzas@dipp.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: nautilus-1.0.6

On 03 Jan 2002 12:26:44 -0500
Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

  <-- snip -->

> Try doing:
>
> sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=5000
>
> and see if that works.  I can't remember if that variable was always
> read-write.  It is in a recent -stable.
>
> kern.maxfiles is actually dependent on your maxusers setting in the
> kernel, though.  You have maxusers set too low in your kernel conf.  If
> this is 4.4-RELEASE, edit your kernel config, and change maxusers to 64,
> then recompile.  If this is a very recent version of 4.4-stable or
> 4.5-PRERELEASE, set maxusers to 0, then recompile.  More on kernel
> limits can be found at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html
>
> Instructions for building a custom kernel can be found at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
>
> Joe

  <-- snip -->

Dear Joe,

I recompiled my 4.4-RELEASE kernel with a maxusers set to 64 and followed your recommandation about the kern.maxfiles to 5000 (by the way, it seems to work fine on a 4.4-RELEASE). But nautilus still isn't starting.

I have a new error on the console though :

Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is that you have a configuration server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)

Ok, fine... but a 'ps waux' doesn't show any gconfd anymore. On the other hand, my open files are still growing :

-- geraud@whisper:/home/geraud --[111]# fstat | wc -l
    1241
-- geraud@whisper:/home/geraud --[112]# fstat | grep oafd | wc -l
     252
-- geraud@whisper:/home/geraud --[113]# fstat | grep nautilus | wc -l
     726

Now, about that TCP networking, I may have a suggestion, I checked the changes on the x11XFree86-4 port and here's what I saw :

2001-10-27 05:18:10
jmz
Patch startx so that X is started with the "-nolisten tcp" by default and add a "-listen_tcp" option to run X in non-secure mode.

Could this have anything to do with the 'unreachable server'?

Once again I would like to thank you for the time I'm making you waste with my dumb questions.

Sincerely yours
Geraud