Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:55:27 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        "Francis A. Vidal" <francis@usls.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: restricted FTP-only user

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 04:08:56PM +0800, Francis A. Vidal wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i'm setting up an account for some staff to be able to upload files to the
> web server. i want them to be chrooted to the DocumentRoot of the
> webserver and will have no shell access except FTP access.

Create the account, and make its home directory the DocumentRoot of your
webserver. Then put the account name in the file /etc/ftpchroot. Also,
give this account a shell like /sbin/nologin, and make sure
/sbin/nologin has an entry in /etc/shells (to allow FTP logins).

> i also don't want them to delete files made by root inside the
> DocumentRoot area. how can i do that?

Make the document directory sticky. chmod +t <directory>

> is it also possible to move the /cgi-bin/ directory to the DocumentRoot
> area? what are the security implications?

Don't know. I don't work much with web servers.

--
See complete headers for more info