Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:04:48 -0700
From:      "jdow" <jdow@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spamassassin very slow

That says you are driving spamd into swapping. The two canonical
reasons for SpamAssassin to be really slow are dead BL sites or
overrunning memory and going into heavy swapping. You made a
change to reduce the amount of swapping. Hence you probably have
too many children at any one time.

Modify your minimum and maximum number of children. For best results
you MAY want only one child per processor you can spare from other
work. Regardless, use "top" to see when you go into swapping with the
spamd load. When you do, back off the number of children running at
any given time.

Check rule sets you are using with RDJ. Some of them require incredible
amounts of memory to run. I run enough rules to pull down about 60
megabytes of memory. There are some rule sets that can go over 100
megabytes on the SARE site (SpamAssassin Rules Emporium). 40 children
at 100 megabytes each could use a "lot of machine". {^_-}

You might consider investigating the spamassassin users list at
apache.org. You can find it via the SpamAssassin home page,
http://www.spamassassin.org/

{^_^}   Joanne